forum - ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com Forum Index forum - ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com
Discussion forum - ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identifying a plant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum - ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com Forum Index -> Doubts and Info about plants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deeps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Identifying a plant Reply with quote

There used to be a plant on the way to my school. A kind of ‘Valli chedi’. We used to call its flower “Thatta(parrot) poovu”. It looks really like a strange flower but it resembled a parrot to us. The color was a combination of purple dots on light green. The smell was not good. Now after all these years I wonder what was that flower. I am not sure that plant is still there. I made a good search in internet about it. The only result I got is a flower what they call “ Rare Parrot flower” which is not what I meant. Could any of you please help me on this thing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: About tatha (parrot) plant Reply with quote

This is probably included in Aristolochia genus possibly Aristolochia littoralis As most plants included in this genus like Aristolochia indica (please search in site), it may also having medicinal properties, but its textual reference is not available.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: About parrot plant Reply with quote

This is an ornamental variety of Aristolochia plant.
It is however most notable for containing toxic aristolochic acid, sometimes in quantities fatal to humans. as it is toxic, it is rarely used for medicinal purpose (except in Chinese medicine)
Deeps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ebeydr and admin,

That was a big help. It was exactly what I meant. Now I searched with the name you both suggested and I could even found a picture of the flower.
It goes here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Aristolochia_sp.jpg
Thanks a lot to both of you.

I happened to see this site recently. Let me admit it. It ROCKS. I could even see the pictures of some plants that made me very nostalgic. Keep going guys. All the best.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Thank you deep Reply with quote

Thank you for your compliment. Actually the administrator ("admin") is moderated by Experts. i.e. Doctors and Botanists to answer possible doubts regarding Medicinal plants, and any doubts regarding ayurveda. Please be a regular visitor. As you a plant lover, you can contribute some of your experiences with plants..
Thank you Laughing
Dr Nandalal K S MD(Ay)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this plant near to my school in my home village in the suburbs of Moovattupuzha. Elder's won't allow to pluck this because it is poisonous, as they said.
Does it have any medicinal property? Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum - ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com Forum Index -> Doubts and Info about plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: